Other Irish narrow gauge, etc.

click for 5k Ballycastle in .jpg format
Ballycastle coa. Source: © G.Hartley (scan of RCJ). For earlier, home-constructed, coa click image

Ballycastle Railway

Incorporated 22/7/1878 (BNCR two directors). Opened 18/10/1880 linking Ballycastle and Ballymoney. 16 1/4 route miles in 1911. Closed 4/4/1924. Taken over by LMSNCC 11/8/1924. Closed 1950.

Rolling stock: 4 locos, 13 passenger and 2 other passenger, 59 goods vehicles in 1911. 5 locos at various stages (3 Black Hawthorn- 3 0-6-0STs 1879 Mks.Nos. 554-5 and 513, 2 Kitson- 2 4-4-2T 1908 Mks.Nos. 4665-6). Coaching stock of compartment type, three classes, both bogie and six wheelers. Six ton freight wagons.
Livery: Locos light green; coaches dark brown with light brown upper panels.
Signalling: Three staff sections - passing loops at Dervock and Armoy. Post 1924 single engine in steam

Further reading: R.W.Kidner, Narrow Gauge Railways of Ireland, H.Fayle, Narrow Gauge Railways of Ireland, Dr E.M. Patterson, The Ballycastle Railway, updated edition.

click for 20k bessbrook logo in .jpg format

Bessbrook and Newry

Opened October 1885. 3 route miles. Hydroelectic power (245v DC). Third rail except for overhead at crossings. Closed 1948.

Rolling stock: Starbuck and later Hurst Nelson motor cars plus several trailers. 9 road/rail goods vehicles.
Works: Main car shed - Bessbrook
Livery: Red and cream; two bogie trailers, ex-Dublin and Lucan green and white.
Signalling: No signalling. Generally one car except at mill starting and closing times. Time interval used.

click for 7k Bessbrook makers' plate in .jpg format Bessbrook makers' plate

Makers' plate - Fry

click for 4K .jpg image of Bessbrook lamp Bessbrook lamp. Source: SRA1204
click for 7K .jpg image of Bessbrook lamp Bessbrook and Newry lamp. Source: TRA0814 full image 65K.

Further reading: R.W.Kidner Narrow Gauge Railways of Ireland, H.Fayle Narrow Gauge Railways of Ireland.

Castlederg and Victoria Bridge Tramway

click for 4k CVBT in .jpg format CVBT coa. Source: B.Veitch

Opened 4/7/1884 [EMP10/7/1884]. A roadside system connecting Castlederg to the GNR at Victoria Bridge. 7 1/4 route miles in 1911. Closed 3/10/1933.

Rolling stock: 3 locos [EMP: 2 named 'Mourne' and 'Derg' for a short time. No. 4 to CVR on closure], 5 passenger and 2 other passenger, 27 goods vehicles in 1911. 6 locos at various stages (3 Kitson - 2 1884 Mks.Nos. T106-7, 1 1891 Mks.No. T257, 2 Hudswell Clarke - 1904, Mks.No. 698 and 1905 Mks.No. 978, 1 Beyer Peacock - built 1877(8?) for Ballymena and Larne plus one railcar 1925-28) [EMP:20hp paraffin engined railcar 1924-9 plus 1929-30 60hp diesel on loan from Kerr Stuart]. At closure 4 tramway coaching vehicles, 31 vans and wagons. [EMP: Carriages - 36 vehicles: passenger 1-5 (4 from Oldbury at opening, No.5 in 1887, new third No. 5 built subsequently), brake vans 1-2 (Oldbury), goods 1-29 (Nos.1-14 built Oldbury 1884, 15-20 were open of same vintage. No.21-23 in 1890. Bogie open No.24 came in 1896. All Oldbury. In 1912 No.28 - 6 ton open and No. 29 - 15 ton bogie open from Pickering].
Works: Engine shed (shops) Castlederg
Livery: Loco and coaches dark red (dull shade of brick red unlined)[Fayle: red][EMP: Livery of engines 1-3 black at least latterly. Engines 4-5 brick red. Lining outer vermilion, inner yellow. Beyer engine likely to have retained NCC crimson lake. Livery of goods was grey with black ironwork and while lettering C&VBT Co. was in block capitals accompanied by the serial no. Tare weight given as '3-17-0' and capacity as 'Load 6 tons'.]
Staff: Secretary & Manager: 1883 W.Irwin, 1894-1928 W.J.Davidson - Secretary 1928-1934, Engineers: 1884 C.S.Bracegirdle, 1900 R.S.Smith, 1904 W.H.Holman, 1918(1917EMP)-1934 G.H.Pollard
Signalling: Single engine in steam. On rare times two trains ran, they crossed at Spamont or Crew. Loop operation prearranged with crews and always in daylight.
Other: For details of Tickets and Stamps see EMP reprint of extracts from earlier publications.

Carriage No.4 restored to UFTM

Further reading: R.W.Kidner Narrow Gauge Railways of Ireland, H.Fayle Narrow Gauge Railways of Ireland, E.M.Patterson The Castlederg and Victoria Bridge Tramway.

Cork and Muskerry Railway

click for 3.5K .jpg image of Cork & Muskerry button Cork & Muskerry button. Source: TRA104

Company formed 12/12/1883. Line opened 8/8/1887 from Cork to Blarney, Donoughmore[6/5/1893], Coachford[18/3/1888]. Gauge 3ft. 18 route miles in 1911. Absorbed in GSR 1925, with rolling stock getting a K suffix. Closed 29/12/1934.

Rolling stock: 6 locos, 19 passenger and 8 other passenger, 60 goods vehicles in 1911. 9 locos at various stages (5 Falcon, later Brush Electrical Engineering- 1887 2-4-0Ts Wks.Nos. 136-8, 1897 4-4-0T Wks.No. 274, 1904 4-4-0T Wks.No. 307, 2 Thos. Green- 0-4-4T Wks.Nos. 180 of 1892 and 200 of 1893, 1 Kitson- 0-4-2T 1888 Wks.No. 235, 1 Hunslet- 4-4-0T 1919 Wks.No. 1200). At end 1890 rolling stock totalled 17 coaches (14 from Cravens of Sheffield circa. 1888, later stock reputed to be from Oldbury, Falcon and Metropolitan), 3 other passenger stock and 37 wagons. There were 27 passenger and 50 freight vehicles in 1925. In 1929 stock was listed as 3 locos, five passenger coaches of the saloon type with end platforms, two luggage vans, and 29 goods vehicles of various kinds. Names of locos were City of Cork, Coachford, St. Annes, Blarney, Donoughmore, Muskerry (originally The Muskerry), Peake, Dripsey, Blarney (second).
Works: Principal engine shed and small repair shop at Cork terminus (Western Rd.)
Livery: Locos: light green, carriages: green. 2 classes (1st and 2nd, subsequently 3rd).
Staff: Manager - J.B.Wilson 1887-
Signalling: Manual staff and ticket system in conjunction with the telephone and absolute block working. Sections: Cork -Carrigrohane (staff red), -Coachford Jct.(yellow), -St. Annes(blue), -Blarney(brown); Coachford Jct.- Dripsey(white), -Coachford(green); St Annes- Donoughmore(bronze).

Further reading: S.C.Jenkins The Cork and Muskerry Light Railway, R.W.Kidner Narrow Gauge Railways of Ireland, H.Fayle Narrow Gauge Railways of Ireland.

click for 2K .jpg image of GCPBVT ticketGCPBVT ticket. Source: D.Cronin

Giants Causeway, Portrush and Bush Valley Tramway

Opened January 1883. Electric service began 1883 but mostly steam to 1899. 8 route miles in 1911. Live rail replaced by overhead wire 1899. Steam haulage ended 1916. Closed 1949.

new According to the Railway Magazine of March 2000, work started in January on the project to rebuild the Giant's Causeway and Bushmills Railway, with engine and carriage sheds and a new station at the Causeway being built. Track will be laid (two mile line on the site of the original eight route miles), the bridge over the River Bush will be replaced, and a new station will be built at Bushmills. Locos and rolling stock to be used were once based at Shane's Castle (Peckett 0-4-0WT 'Tyrone', built in 1904 for the British Aluminium Company, Larne, a Barclay 0-4-0WT 'Shane' ex-Bord na Mona, and a 'T' class Simplex diesel, with rolling stock also coming from Shane's Castle). It is planned to open the line in late May or early June.

Rolling stock: 2 locos, 23 passenger vehicles in 1911. 4 steam locos (Wilkinson - 2 in 1883 Mks.Nos.28-9, 1887 Mks.No.54, 1896 Mks.No.63) at various stages. Electric cars initially Midland Carriage and Wagon, then GEC plus a Peckham car.
Works: Main depot - one mile outside Portrush.
Livery: Cars and trailers: cream predominant colour with brown surrounds and lining. Steam locos - green, lined out, with brass name (Wartrail, Dunluce Castle, Brian Boroimhe, name of fourth unknown) and no. plates on the side.
Signalling: Boys with white and red flags on some single line sections.

Further reading: R.W.Kidner Narrow Gauge Railways of Ireland, H.Fayle Narrow Gauge Railways of Ireland.

Listowel and Ballybunion

click for 6k LBR coa LBR coa. Source: © G. Hartley (scan RCJ)

Opened March 1888. Lartigue elevated monorail. 10 route miles in 1911. Closed 14/10/1924.

Rolling stock: 1 loco twin vertical boiler from S.A. Tubize, Belgium, 3 Hunslet locos (Wks. Nos. 431-3 of 1887), 13 passenger and 2 other passenger, 24 goods vehicles in 1911. Official returns in 1890 showed 8 coaches, 8 other vehicles used in passenger trains, 28 wagons and two other vehicles.
Works: Loco shed Listowel with adjoining repair shop.
Livery: Locos: dark green with black lining, carriages: reddish brown, lined out in yelow and black, the coach serial nos. having the prefix A. The company's initials with the engine no. appeared on circular fixed to the sides of the tenders (later on cab sheets with patent plates moved to tender), while an oblong plate, inscribed "Lartigue Single Rail System; Mallet's Patent" was fixed to the side sheets of the cab. The plate from the vertical boilered engine is thought to survive (see photo Newham).
Staff: Resident Mechanical Engineer in 1888 was A. Gore.
Signalling: Electric staff system.

Further reading: A.T.Newham The Listowel and Ballybunion Railway, H.Fayle Narrow Gauge Railways of Ireland.

newWeb: See new site The Lartigue Monorailway with history and photos past and present.

click for 12K .jpg image of Lartigue Lartigue share certificate. Source: GCR1013. (full image 38k)

Ballymena, Cushendall and Red Bay

The first narrow gauge railway in Ireland. Built largely for mineral trafffic. The section Ballymena-Cargan was opened 26/5/1875 and extended to Retreat on 8/10/1876. Purchased 14/7/1884 by BNCR. During independence only freight trafffic carried. Passengers from 5/4/1886, with an extension in running to Parkmore on 27/8/1888. 16 1/2 route miles in 1911. Closed to passengers 1930 and for all traffic in 1940.

Rolling stock: 3 locos (Black Hawthorn 0-4-2ST 1874- Mks.Nos. 301-3).
Works: BNCR after 1884.
Livery: Locos dark green; coaches dull brown.
Staff: See BNCR etc..

Further reading: R.W.Kidner, Narrow Gauge Railways of Ireland, H.Fayle, Narrow Gauge Railways of Ireland, Dr E M Patterson (new material N Johnston), The Mid-Antrim Narrow Gauge [Ballymena, Cushendal and Red Bay Railway, the Ballymena and Larne Railway, the NCC].

Ballymena and Larne

Incorporated 7/7/1874. Opened 1/8/1877 from Larne to Ballyclare, and to Ballymena in 1880 (24/8/1878 - Fayle). Doagh branch [1/5/1884]. Also largely for mineral trafffic. Purchased by BNCR in July 1889. 31 1/2 route miles in 1911. Closures: Doagh[1930], Ballyboley-Ballymena[1942], Larne-Ballyclare[1950].

Rolling stock: 6 locos (Beyer Peacock- 2-4-0T 1877 Mks.No. 1687 and 1880 Mks.No. 1828, 0-6-0T 1887 Mks.Nos. 1700-1, 1883 Mks.No. 2304, 2-6-0ST Mks.No. 1947). 2-4-2T compounds were designed by Bowman Malcolm of the BNCR for this line. 6 were built (Beyer Peacock 1892 Mks.Nos. 3463-4, NCC York Rd. 1908 and 1909, Belfast (with Derby boilers) 1919 and 1920).
Works: After 1889 - York Rd.
Livery: Locos, light green; coaches, light brown.
Staff: See BNCR etc..

Further reading: R.W.Kidner Narrow Gauge Railways of Ireland, H.Fayle Narrow Gauge Railways of Ireland.

Portstewart Tramway

Opened June 1882. Into liquidation in 1897 and purchased by BNCR. 1 3/4 route miles in 1911. Closed 31/1/1926.

Rolling stock: 3 locos (Kitson 0-4-0T, Mks.Nos.T56 of 1882, T84 of 1883 and T302 of 1901 - probably the last tramway engine built by them), 3 passenger and 1 luggage van in 1911. At close two bogie double-decked tramcars, one four-wheeled single deck car and one four wheeled luggage van.
Signalling: Unknown. One intermediate crossing place - Victoria Terrace, and run-round loops at end.

Further reading: R.W.Kidner Narrow Gauge Railways of Ireland, H.Fayle Narrow Gauge Railways of Ireland.

Loco No. 2: UFTM

click for 5K .jpg image of West Carberry coat of arms West Carberry coa. Source: D.Parker

Schull and Skibbereen Light Railway

click for 1.6K .jpg image of Schull & Skibbereen nameplate Schull & Skibbereen nameplate. Source: SRA906

Incorporated 7/12/1883 as West Carberry Tramway & Light Railway. Name changed to Schull & Skibbereen Tramways & Light Railway Co. Opened 6/9/1886. Gauge 3ft. 14 route miles in 1911 (15 1/2 originally). Absorbed GSR 1925. Closed 1944. Reopened 1945. Closed 1946 [Casserley: 1947].

Rolling stock: 4 locos, 7 passenger and 6 other passenger, 48 goods vehicles in 1911. 7 locos at various stages (3 Dick Kerr 1886 0-4-0, 2 Peckett 4-4-0s Mks.Nos. 1085 of 1906 and 1356 of 1914, 1 T.Green [ex-CMLR 0-4-4T in 1938 became No. 6S], 1 Nasmyth Wilson 4-4-0T Mks. No. 341 of 1888). Names of first six locos: Marion, Ida, Ilen, Erin, Gabriel, Kent
Works: Loco shed and small repair shop at Skibbereen. Heavy repairs Inchicore after 1925.
Livery: Locos and coaches green.

click for Skull notice 15k in .jpg format

click for 6.1K .jpg image of staff and ticket boxSSR staff & ticket box. (full image 69.9K)
click for 7.5K .jpg image of SSLR gate lamp Schull & Skibbereen Light Railway gate lamp. Source: TRA0314 full image 78K

Further reading: R.W.Kidner Narrow Gauge Railways of Ireland, H.Fayle Narrow Gauge Railways of Ireland.
Web: The Narrow Gauge Museum at Tywyn in Wales illustrates several SSLR items starting here. Exhibits are: Ballydehob and Skibbereen train staff and a ticket box for staff and ticket working.

click for 17k Blessington crest in .jpg format

Dublin and Blessington Steam Tramway

Originally proposed 3ft gauge but built to standard gauge. Opened August 1888. 15 1/2 route miles. Closed 1932.

Rolling stock: 10 locos (6 Falcon Works 0-4-0s 1887 Wks.Nos. probably 125-130, 3 Thos.Green 1892 2-4-2 Mks.No.179, 1896 at first 0-4-2T but later 2-4-2T Mks.No. 218, 1906 Mks.No.267, 1 Brush Engineering 2-4-2T 1899 Mks.No. 284) at various stages. In 1889 there were 6 locos, 10 passenger carriages, 2 brake vans and 10 wagons (which grew to 39 by 1912).
Works: Templeogue: loco and carriage sheds, workshops and smithy.
Livery: Livery of passenger coaches was dark green, with the company's crest, a garter, on the lower deck side panels. Engines same colour, at first with initials D.&B.S.T on their sides, later shortened to D.&B. [EFC] Wagon stock was a medium grey. [Baker] Locos black with red and gold lining, carriages crimson lake with gold lining.
Staff: On establishment: Engineer- W.F.Clarke, Secretary(protem)- W.E.O'Donnell. 1/8/1888: Engineer- Mr. Fraser, Secretary- Mr. Walker. Loco superintendent in 1899: W.Guilfoyle.
Signalling: Tablet system. Each conductor leaving Terenure had to take the necessary tablets for the round trip, and gave each to driver to permit him to proceed to crossing station plus telephonic contact (See Fayle and Newham). Passing places were at Templeogue, Tallaght, Jobstown, Embankment, Crooksling, Brittas and Blessington.

Further reading: H.Fayle and A.T.Newham The Dublin and Blessington Tramway.

newWeb: See relatively new Dublin and Blessington site with map, pictures, full history, etc..

Rolling stock: Combination double decker steam tramcar built in 1881 by Manlove, Alliot, Fryer and Co., designed by E.Perrett, 2 Kitson tram engines, two 1st/2nd class cars and two "pen" coaches were early stock. The locomotive stud eventually reached 6 (a seventh built by Thos. Green - Wks. No. 169 of 1892 is described in Fayle) all being built by Kitson (Wks. Nos. 1882 - T57, 1883 - T74, T81, 1884 -T104, T108, and 1887 - T224). Steam passenger stock eventually reached 16 vehicles. For electric stock: see Newham.
Works: Depots at Conyngham Rd. and Lucan. DUT - Inchicore works.
Livery: In 3'6" period was green and cream, with the full company title on the rocker panels, a garter with the seial no. in the centre on the waist panels. Narrow boards above the saloon windows bore the inscription "Lucan, Ballydowd, Palmerstown, Chapelizod". In 1924 livery became green all over.
Staff: Secretary 1901 H.Harrison, 1913 D.McD.Grosart (Secretary, Engineer and Manager).
Signalling: Eventually 17 passing loops, automatic light signalling between each.

Further reading: A.T.Newham The Dublin and Lucan Tramway, H.Fayle Narrow Gauge Railways of Ireland.

click for 12k DUTC crest 

Dublin United Tramways

Trams in Dublin. Data to follow.

Crest - Fry

click for 3K .jpg image of DUTC bus badge DUTC bus badge. Source: ebay1208.

click for 3K .jpg image of DUTC bus driver DUTC bus driver. Source: ebay613. (full image 103K)

click for 3K .jpg image of DUTC makers plate DUTC makers plate

click for 2.6K .jpg image of Dalkey tram light click for 3K .jpg image of Dalkey tram light Dalkey tram gaslight 1. (full image 20.4K), 2. (full image 22.6K)

Bord na Móna

Web: For useful data see Steve Johnson's Bord na Móna page. Many photos are on this site. There are also several pages regarding locos on the official Bord na Móna site. A description of a 1966 visit by enthusiasts reproduced from the Industrial Railway Record is useful.


click for 9K .jpg image of Ruston plates A Ruston front radiator plate and cabside emblem (not necessarily from the same loco) and Ruston & Hornsby builders' plate 259185 (of 1948) from loco LM47F all from the Kilberry system. Source: DL (full image 48K)
click for 7.5K .jpg image of Hunslet etc. plates A 'Wagonmaster' bonnet plate, Hunslet radiator plate and Hunslet builders' plate 6241/1963 (from loco No.LM208) all from Derrygreenagh but probably from different machines. Source: DL. (full image 41.6K)
click for 8.5K .jpg image of Simplex plates Simplex Mechanical Handling plate from a 4wDM supplied to the Bord in 1980 and used at their site at Coolnagan. Source: DL. (full image 46.6K)
click for 7.3K .jpg image of Deutz plates Deutz 57124 was a 0-4-0DM (No.LM188) which is known to have worked at Derrygrenagh and Blackwater. It was withdrawn after 1990 and scrapped in 1998. Source: DL. (full image 37.8K)
click for 6.7K .jpg image of old type BnM plates Two styles of number plate constructed in the style of the old type of plates fixed to cars. LM24 was carried by 4wDM Ruston and Hornsby 244870/1946 and .LM279 by Hunslet 7244/1972. Source: DL. (full image 36.8K)

Cómhlucht Siúicre Eireann

click for 6K .jpg image of CSE makers plate CSE loco plate. Source: DL

Guinness Railway

Locomotive, etc.:
See photo offsite and list of locomotives. A review of the railway is to be found in the Industrial Railway Record No. 22 and some early engines are shown elsewhere.

click for 10K .jpg image of Guinness loco plate Guinness loco numberplate. Source: RNT0914 full image 113K.

blue ball Return to Index page, or go to unclassified, Other Irish unclassified..blue ball

red ball Return to auction price data on original pages red ball

red ball For genealogy, go to my Lennan genealogy pages red ball

Page posted 27/7/1997. Revised 23/1/15

This URL: http://www.irishrailwayana.com/ or http://www.irishrailroadiana.com/
Original URL: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/8690/
Auction prices: http://www.lennan.be, and http://users.skynet.be/ken.lennan/index.htm or http://gallery.uunet.be/ken.lennan/ now http://home.tiscali.be/ken.lennan/
Genealogy URL: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~lennan/

Valid XHTML 1.0!